Thursday, November 3, 2011

My First Novel: Noelle, Chapter 4

Jason Has a Girlfriend

*reprint from Mod Magazine, 2011




“I miss Chickenjoy,” Noelle declares as she looks around Lei Garden, a resto located inside Chijmes, during one of their weekly night-outs.

“Chickenjoy or Aga Muhlach?” Anton asks.

“Aga!” Frances and Noelle cries in unison.

“I am a big fan of Jollibee.”

“Really? Us too,” Frances reveals.

“No, I am not.” Anton chides his wife.

“Yes, you are,” Frances insists.

“I have an idea. Let us have lunch at Jollibee one time when we go home to Manila for Christmas.” Noelle was quite happy with her idea. The couple agrees.

“Guess what I did differently lately?” Kara butts in as she joins the group and takes her seat.

”I don’t think it’s your hair, still black,” Anton guessed. All three looked at her expectantly.

“Next day after our blessings game, I started writing my blessings. Everyday since, I wrote down all my blessings for the day. You know what’s amazing? My blessings kept getting more and more each day. Thursday I listed down 6, Friday 10, Sat 12…And when I read my list again, I realized some I’ve received in the past but didn’t recognize them as blessings. So, I think a grateful heart attracts blessings.

Frances repeats, “a grateful heart attracts blessings. Nice. I think I’ll post that as my shout-out on my Facebook.”

“Go, then I’ll “like” it.” Noelle tells Frances.

“So, you see it’s good not to have Martin around. You spend more time thinking and realizing wonderful ideas like this.” Frances smiles at her observation.

“Also, I thought why don’t we have an activity like it every time we meet? Kara suggests.

“And, what is that?” Anton sounded lost in the conversation.

“Sharing each other’s good news, good fortune, miracles. Whatever you call it.”

“Isn’t that what we do when we see each other?” Anton asks.

“Yes, but we only tend to see and celebrate only the big ones. Let us teach ourselves to see even the small good things too.”

“What have you been taking lately? You into drugs?”Anton acts as if he is deeply concerned. The other two laughs.

“Where is Martin, by the way?” Anton asks surprised that her pseudo-boyfriend is not with her.

“He can’t come tonight.”Kara replied.

“He is not coming ever again.” Frances declared matter-of-factly.

Anton was about to ask why but of course he knows why. He decides to joke about it but instead said, “you will find a better guy. Don’t worry, sister! I promise you a better guy is coming.”

Just then Jason comes in. Anton continues, ”in fact he is here.” Everybody turns to look at Jason.

“What are you guys up to?” Jason asks and looks at Anton .

“We were just saying how lucky we are to have a friend as good looking as you are,” Anton replies.

Kara quips, “Anton, I am beginning to think…” They all have a good laugh.

“Are we sharing our blessings again tonight?”Jason asks.

“Oh, somebody has some good news to share,” Noelle kids her seatmate.

“Did you get promoted, pare?” Anton asks Jason.

Jason replies, “no, well…I… do not know if it is even a good thing…but…anyway, my girlfriend Andrea is coming over for a visit.

“You have a girlfriend?” The ladies were all shocked and dumbfounded.

“No, yes ,I mean…yes. We lost touch when I came here. The other day she called me up, out of the blue and started talking about closure. We agreed to meet and see...” He meant to say, see how things will go between them.

“That Andrea better be nice to you or she won’t get back to Manila alive,” Frances said jokingly.

“Honey…” Anton gives her the look.

“But we have to protect our little brother here from heartbreak or heartache,” Frances says defensively. Jason is 28, about 3 years their junior. Noelle is the youngest at 25.

So, Jason has a girlfriend. Kara and Noelle are still processing this piece of news and both could not help but feel disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment