Monday, December 12, 2011

My First Novel: Noelle, Chapter 8

David Flies

*reprint from Mod Magazine, 2011

As Noelle takes her seat in her class, David adjusts his seatbelt in the plane. He does not like flying but he does it anyway.

Kara and Frances stand craning their necks at the arrival area looking for a tall, lean, goodlooking gentleman. As soon as they spotted him, they waved gingerly at first then when he smiled, they too were all smiles. It was their fist time to meet him, but who would have thought that they would easily feel comfortable around him. The moment he reached them, they were hugging and kissing him. For his part, it was like meeting his sisters after a long time of separation. As if they read his mind, they both told him he can call them “ate.”

Noelle sits by herself at a restaurant at her favorite hotel, Raffles, as she patiently waits for her friends. She is wearing her new Venus-cut dress. Frances said she is announcing something important. It is a surprise, she said. She just asked everyone to wear something nice worthy of the occasion. Maybe she is pregnant. What else could it be? She was just promoted recently. Or maybe it’s Anton this time.

Where are her friends? She checks her watch. They’re late as usual. She is starting to get upset. But despite that she tells herself, something good will come out of this. This is something she is teaching herself, to always see the good in every situation, good or bad. She decides to while away the time by calling up David overseas.

From the outside of the restaurant thru the glass, David instantly spots his beloved. It was as if he has radar in him leading him to where she was. In his anticipation, he does not know whether to go to the toilet or head straight to her. His heart was beating loudly. They are meeting here for the first time. He took out his hanky to wipe his forehead damp from sweat. Suddenly his phone rings. Why is Noelle calling me, why now? He didn’t want to take the call, not now, but he could not disregard his girlfriend so he picks up.

“Hello sweetie.” There was something odd in his voice. Noelle sensed it right away. Is he with another woman? Oh my God, my David is probably in a restaurant with another lady right now.

“Hi David, where are you?” Her voice sounded suspicious.

Oh no, he’s caught.

“I miss you,” she adds.

“I miss you too baby,” David replies.

Noelle’s next statement was “I wish you were here with me.” And that was his cue.

“Do you want me to come over right now? Because if you say so, I will definitely come over. Now.” David was so excited, he was chuckling.

“You’re teasing me again.”

“No baby, I’m serious. Just say you want me there now and I will come.”

Noelle decides to play along and says, ”I miss you Dr. David Yuson. Please come to me now.”

“Sure, I’m coming,” and he gallantly strides to her seat.

Noelle laughs at their game but she felt that he was really there right that moment. She looks around the room and there was David, looking as handsome as ever in his crisp white button-down shirt and slim fit trousers, right before her. She could not believe her eyes!

As soon as he reaches her, he says, “I told you I’d come,” and gives her the sweetest kiss on her forehead.

She did not say anything, her joyful eyes said it all. They touch, kiss and held each other for awhile. Right there and then, she knew he came to ask for her hand in marriage. Right there and then, she knew her answer was a yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment