Saturday, September 20, 2014

A Day in the Life of Sandy with her dog Dodo: On Rejection

Sandy: Rejection is God's protection. Where did I hear that?

Dodo: From dating coach Marni Bassista?

Sandy: Oh, so it's meant for people in the dating scene, huh? 

Dodo: Yeah, the idea is that as soon as you're rejected, you move on and say, next! It's better to think you're better off without him. Or at least, it's better for your morale to think that. Besides, why obsess on what could have been? Why bother when you're date is a no-show, a creep or a loser? It's better to work on yourself and just look forward to your next potential date. 

Sandy: Wow! You're sounding like a dating coach. How many Dating with Dignity videos have you seen?

Dodo: Just enough to know something. 

Sandy: Does it apply to other rejections in life? 

Dodo: Huh?

Sandy: You think it's God's protection too that my book got rejected by those snotty publishers? Because, I don't get it. I couldn't for the life of me understand how it's supposed to be helpful.

Dodo: Are you going to cry? Do you need a tissue?

Sandy: And I thought I was done with this issue. You know, not becoming published book author. I thought I have accepted the fact that maybe this is not the right time, not the right book... 

Dodo: How about a glass of water?

Sandy: I agonized over this a few months ago already when I got my latest rejection email and now, I have to go all over the pain again. All because I came across someone's careless generalization. 

Dodo: Maybe it's good to remind yourself of how you got over it the last time. Try.

Sandy still sulking and close to tears.

Dodo: It was a character's line in that TV series you don't like and have stopped watching after 3 episodes. The lady said something like, you just do what you can, put it out there and allow for the universe to respond. If it doesn't happen, it's not on you. It's not your fault. Sandy, it's not your fault.

Sandy: So I wrote a novel and sent it out to publishers. And the answer is a resounding and a consistent no-no-no-no. Every time I receive a no, it's like a stab in my heart. How could God plant a dream like that in my heart and not do something? I don't know what to do anymore. 

Dodo: For now, it's better to stop overanalyzing. So what if they didn't like it, they don't know anything. But you know what, cheesy as it was, I actually liked it.

Sandy: You read it?

Dodo: Yeah.

Sandy: My dog read my book and liked it. But he thinks it's cheesy. You think it's cheesy? 

Dodo: Yeah, soooo cheeeessssy! But I liked it.

Sandy: Hah! Thank you, Dodo. You just made my day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment