Saturday, February 28, 2015

Are We But Sunday Christians?

This was the thought running in my head as I left church last Sunday.

When I look at the people inside the church looking all kind and holy, praying, singing to God, listening to the priest, saying "peace be with you," I can't help asking, where are these kind souls during the rest of the week? I don't see many of them during the rest of the week especially in crowded trains, or out on the streets in heavy traffic.

In these places, most of the people I see are grumbling, complaining and trying to get ahead of the others. 

Do we forget that we are children of God as soon as we are out of the church? That we are equals and not any better than the rest? That we ought to be nice to one another? And so, we are back in our ways - honking the car when someone blocks our way, pushing and shoving to get in the train?

And simple courtesies like greeting back the security guard welcoming us in the mall, looking at the face of a saleslady and replying a polite "no" if  she offers us something we're not interested in, thanking a fast food crew or a waiter for a glass of water served? 

Where are these good people? Do we transform to other beings when somewhere else or on other days, forgetting our manners?

Then it hit me, before I impose these things on others, I HAVE TO BE ONE. I have to be the one doing good, showing niceties and courtesies. If I don't get to change others, at least, I GOT TO CHANGE ME. 

No comments:

Post a Comment