Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Day in the (College) Life of Sandy


excerpt from The Amazing Adventures of Sandy & Her Dog Dodo



April 2011
Not a good time to be seen by him

It was another regular summer day in the campus. As I took a one last look at myself in the mirror, I smiled because I liked the striped black and purple top I was wearing. I looked good in it. Knowing I looked good, I felt good. But knowing very well how cold it can get at the amphitheater where my Econ 11 class is, I blindly grabbed the first cardigan I found in my cabinet. I had to hurry because I was running late for my class. 

Apparently, the knit top I got a hold of was light caramel. This color didn’t go well with my top plus the cut wasn’t flattering. Oh well, better that than freezing inside the theater, I consoled myself. I figured I’d just wear it inside the hall and take it off right after I get off my seat before anyone I know sees me. Good plan except that I forgot to execute it. And the first person I see as I stepped out of the room is him.

He sees me, recognizes me and flashes his 100-megawatt smile in an instant. Oh my gosh, he remembers me. There were close to ten of us girls introduced to him last week and yet he recognized me. Oh! That’s when I realized, I was wearing my crummy Bertha cape which made me look fat and disgusting. Ok, maybe not disgusting but really, unflattering. I almost froze in terror. In my embarrassment, I ignored him, looked the other way and pretended not to remember him. 

What a pity, I saw his smile vanish and turn into a frown. Oh shoot! Nice one, Sandy! I could only mutter softly, sorry.  

No comments:

Post a Comment