Tuesday, October 19, 2010

29 Days of Gift-Giving

I chanced upon this book, 29 Gifts while I was whiling time at Powerbooks (I love Powerbooks!). Written by Cami Walker, who has MS but somehow she managed to get on with her life by focusing not on her disease or her limitations but instead, she chose to focus on what she can do and give to others, as advised by her good friend. She gave anything she had, from loose change to time spent with a friend to giving moral support. You can check out her website, www.29gifts.org or buy the book. I liked the idea so much that I started it right away.

Hers was MS, mine was selfishness & self-centeredness. I always thought I don't have much, that I had to have more so I can give more. The past few years I have been teaching myself to give more. Lately did I realize, thanks to Bo Sanchez and books like that of Cami's, that I have so much to give with what I already have. And it's not only material things that I can give, I can share my talents, time, pieces of good advice, flash a smile, laughter and say prayers for other people.

Like her and other people she's encouraged, I made a journal out of my gift-giving which I will post here. What's fascinating is that though I was giving, I was also on the receiving end. Notice how many gifts I receive on the same day ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment